Meet Our Coaches
Expert coaching of the most functional and effective forms of fitness in Center City, Philadelphia. Through CrossFit, Gymnastics, Olympic Lifting, Endurance and Power Lifting - we use methods that have been established over years to help you reach your goals today as well as five years from now.
Wylie Belasik, Owner and Coach
Wylie comes from a background in non-profit and sport activism, having promoted sport and active lifestyles as a tool for social change across the country.
“God, Drugs and Loving Myself”
In 2008, I was entering information from a survey that I had given an individual who was experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. The survey was a simple one and on it, the final question was ‘Please list three factors that you believe contributed to your state of homelessness’.
The response was clear and heart-breaking. The man had written, ‘God, drugs and loving myself’. It struck me that the individuals who we are most often trying to help are not unclear on their needs or situation. We are hard-wired to want to be proud, strong and contributing to the fullest extent of our capacity. However, sometimes, circumstances intervene, our lives shift and we lose sight of what we can offer to each other.
I believe in sport as a tool for social change. I believe that when we sweat and push ourselves, we see who we are meant to be and can share that with others. That’s the root of a healthy community and what I’ve spent the past 10 years of my life building.
Certifications and athletic experience:
- CrossFit L-1 Trainer
- CrossFit Endurance
- Two time Ironman World Championship qualifier (competed in 2013)
- 2013 Ironman 70.3 World Championship qualifier
- In 2014 was ranked top 50 in the world in the Ironman world rankings for age group 30-34
- Marathon PR of 2:31, Half marathon PR of 1:11
- Completed the Wellington to Auckland Bike Challenge in 2011, a week long, bicycle stage race in New Zealand
- Founder, UliftU
- 2017 Be Well Philly Health Hero Finalist
Morgan Vozobule, Coach and Head Coach for Liberty Barbell Club
"I came across CrossFit late 2011, bored with my solo-gym routine and struggling daily with self motivation. Shortly after joining, I knew I had made the right decision. It soon became my priority to become a part of the community that CrossFit Center City had built: inspiring, encouraging, and awe-worthy. The importance of my own performance gains were soon paralleled by the progress of fellow athletes in the gym, and I wanted to be a part of them doing well. Coaching has given me a front row seat to watching people change their lives for the better, challenge themselves daily, and do more than they had previously thought themselves capable of."
I love watching people transition from beginners to athletes. I believe in people before they believe in themselves and I think that helps them commit to our style of training. I also design the programming for our Intro to Olympic Lifting program and competitive Olympic Lifting Club, Liberty Barbell Club, which helps members build a foundation for excelling at the technical lifts.
Certifications, Continuing Education and Experience:
- B.A. in Women’s Studies and Gender and Sexuality and a Minor in Strength and Conditioning from the University of Delaware
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
- USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
- USAW Level 2 Sports Performance Coach
- Moving Beyond Mobility Workshop
- First Aid/CPR.
- Mid-Atlantic Regionals 2014 Team member
- Qualified for the 2015 USAW American Open as a 63kg
- Qualified for the 2017 USAW Nationals as a 63kg
Contact Morgan here! Morgan@crossfitcc.com
Justin McClintock, Director of Programming and Coach
Justin has been training with CrossFit since 2009, and coaching since 2012. He coaches CrossFit, Olympic Lifting, and Gymnastics.
Justin is passionate about introducing relatively untrained people to strength and conditioning, as well as working to develop individual advanced and competitive athletes. His passion for learning and experimenting with gymnastics programming has led to the development of the two-level Subversus Gymnastics program and an exciting addition to what we offer. His breadth of skill set is one of the many reasons he exemplifies the approach of Subversus, grounded in real world proven methods, but scalable to any ability level.
Justin is a nutritional consultant for Subversus, and works with a number of our athletes to improve their performance and health by changing their diet and lifestyle habits.
- OPEX CCP Level 1
- CrossFit Level 1
- CrossFit Gymnastics
- CrossFit Weightlifting
- CrossFit KIDS
- Precision Nutrition Level 1
- Functional Movement Screen Level 1
Contact Justin here! Justin@crossfitcc.com
Tim Heckman, Senior Coach
Tim has spent over half a decade working with an incredibly wide range of clients to help them achieve their athletic goals. His commitment to learning and implementing innovative strategies grounded in practice make him an incredible asset to the coaching team at Subversus.
Tim brings a background of mobility work, breath training, gymnastics, strongman and functional movement training in addition to years of CrossFit experience to the team. He also programs for our on ramp program, Foundations, helping introduce newcomers to safe and effective training through that program.
- BA in Exercise Science with a specialization in Health Promotion and Fitness Management
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
- CrossFit Football Certification
- Freestyle Connection Seminar Attendee
- YogaFit Level 1
- Cancer Exercise Specialist
- pending CSCS
- Director of Programming, UliftU
Contact Tim here! Tim@crossfitcc.com
Emily Avener Haynes, Coach
Ave has recently returned to us after moving to California for 3 years, where she served as a Deputy Sheriff with the Santa Cruz Sheriff's Office. Ave also took over the Head Coach position at Crossfit UP in Santa Cruz, and coached at Santa Cruz Strength as well. Prior to the move, Ave had been a coach at CFCC since 2011, and an employee since 2010. She found CrossFit after college as a way to continue her fitness and prepare for the Marine Corps' Officer Candidate School after the end of a 4-year collegiate ice hockey career. That led to an increased interest in weightlifting and human movement, sparking a decision to pursue a career as a massage therapist and coach, rather than the Marine Corps. A lifelong student, she now continues to coach while simultaneously pursuing her Master of Science degree in Sports Conditioning and Performance. Her research interests include cyclic breathing patterns and the effect of physical activity on cognition. Ave combines her wealth of practical experience with her theoretical knowledge to help athletes chase their potential and become the best movers that they can be. Her true passion is getting folks out of pain - the more complicated and chronic, the more she enjoys resolving it.
- Over 6 years CrossFit coaching experience
- Ed Snider Youth Hockey Program coach 2009-2011
- 10+ years experience power skating coach
- New England Small College Athletic Conference Women's Coaching Symposium, 2007
- Stop Chasing Pain: Primal Movement Chains (taught by Dr. Perry Nickelston, DC, NKT, FMS, SFMA) 2013
- Cressey Performance Fall 2012 Seminar
- CrossFit Level 1
- California Certified Massage Therapist
- Functional Movement Screen with Gray Cook & Lee Burton
- CrossFit Endurance
- First Aid/CPR
Contact Emily here! Emily@crossfitcc.com